Just trying to find our place in the sun

I love to have a surf, even though I am over 60 and starting to look like an 'old fart' compared to the fit young guys on their surfboards.

And just like all the cyclists that are seen on our roads these days, exercise is a good thing, for all ages and to be on the beach in winter on one of those lovely sunny days, with a glassy swell rolling through, what could be better than a surf on my body board?

Well, actually what could be better would be a surf on my body board without being smashed by fiberglass surfboards!

We have so much wonderful coastline in Western Australia, and in particular along Perth, so I just wonder why it is not possible for the authorities to allocate say 100 meters (that's all) of coastline around Trigg and Scarborough that is 'surfboard free'? Then maybe people who want to enjoy a cold winter dip in the ocean, or people like 'old farts' such as me could enjoy the ocean in safety?

Having spent 15 years as a surf lifesaver in my younger days, I have seen the end result of someone's head meeting-up with the point of a fiberglass surfboard. Not pretty!

So whilst it is great that people can going surfing using their surfboards, maybe we could all share the ocean fairly by giving other people the right to surf and swim safely as well?

Just 100 meters would do!

Ross Taylor
May 2013

Post a Comment

0 Comments